Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Worthy Substitute: Old Navy for J.Crew

J.Crew's Nolita Denim Jacket (item #10296) currently retails for $98, and is available in both regular and petite (sorry, tall ladies!). J.Crew describes the jacket as such:

The kind of jacket everyone should have in their closet. Now with a perfectly distressed, weathered look that's as soft and comfortable as your favorite pair or jeans. Cotton. Classic fit. Straight shape. Point collar. Long sleeves. Button trim. Patch pockets. Stitching details on coat. Hits at hip. Import. Machine wash.
I actually never considered purchasing the Nolita jacket, because I already had a very worthy substitute - Old Navy's Denim Jacket (item #610900) in Dark Worn color. This jacket comes in regular, petite, and tall. It also comes in a much paler wash, called Vancouver. It was originally $29.50, but is currently marked down to $25 - almost 1/4 of the price of the Nolita!

This jacket fits very well (check back tomorrow for the full review of this jacket), and unlike J.Crew's Nolita Jacket, it does not come with wear and tear already built into it. You may like this "distressed" sort of look, but I prefer to spend my money on clothes without holes in them. Note that the Nolita jacket has "distress" in the back, front, and sleeve.

What do you think? Is the Old Navy denim jacket a worthy substitute for J.Crew's?

4 comments:

ashley March 12, 2009 at 9:07 AM  

Thats the ON jacket I've had my eye on! I wonder if they have it in stores as well. It would be nice to save on shipping! Can't wait for your review so I know what size to order!

JTS March 12, 2009 at 11:21 AM  

They do have it in stores, but not the petite sizes :(

Unknown March 12, 2009 at 9:16 PM  

I reviewed the denim jacket here: http://gigisgoneshopping.blogspot.com/2009/02/old-navy-denim-jacket.html

I wish I had a petite for the sleeve length but I'm fine with the medium I got. It's fitted.

JTS March 12, 2009 at 10:33 PM  

Hey Gigi - thanks for the linking to your post! I didn't find the Old Navy jacket to run small, but definitely would have preferred to get it in petite just for the sleeves, too!