Wednesday, May 6, 2009

J.Crew: His Derby-Stripe Shirt Review

This is J.Crew's His Derby-Stripe Shirt (item #97335), which originally retailed for $69.50, and select colors are now on sale for $39.99.  This shirt is alpha-sized, and is available in shell, dove grey, and blue.  J.Crew describes the shirt as such:
Our favorite boyfriend shirt in new stripes. Looks like you borrowed it from him—but we're in love with the way it goes with a skinny pant. Cotton broadcloth. Point collar. Long sleeves. Chest pocket. Box pleat at back yoke. Shirttail hem. Relaxed fit. Hits at low hip. Import. Machine wash.
I tried this on once before, but in a small, and it was huge, so I left it behind (plus it was a little pricey for an oversized shirt).  I tried it on this time in an extra small, and in the shell color.  The extra small is still a bit big, but I think that is the style.  To be honest, I think I would have preferred it a teeny bit smaller - I realize that big and loose and masculine cut is the point, but it's almost too big and loose.

I like the pink strip color a lot.  The fabric is a nice, smooth cotton, and it is pretty light.  The shirt is a tad bit sheer, but since this would mainly be a casual look for me, I don't mind too much.  I did tuck this shirt in, but Balloon City!  I think I'll wear this untucked with a skinny belt, and then I can pair it with skinny capris or jeans.

I don't have a whole lot else to say about this one.  I think this shirt pulls off the "I borrowed this from my boyfriend" look rather well, and it is really comfortable.

I did pick this up.  I debated about it, as I already own some casual cotton shirts, but in the end, the sale price + the Mickey Card + the fact that those other cotton shirts are much heavier won out.  If you are looking for some styling tips, I want to say that FFM posted some, but I'm not positive.

What do you think?  Do you like this shirt?  Do you own it?  How would you style it?

4 comments:

Jayna Wallace May 6, 2009 at 4:40 PM  

I just ordered this in my regular size (S) in Dove Grey last week - it hasn't arrived yet. I'm all for loose-fitting (as in, not skin tight), but if it's really as baggy as it appears, this one might be going back. Thanks for the review!

Unknown May 6, 2009 at 6:58 PM  

Unbutton it one more -- not suggesting to show cleavage -- just create more of a v-neck. Roll up the sleeves. It will look so cute. It looks good as-is. Good purchase.

JTS May 14, 2009 at 10:04 PM  

RatsOnParade - Have you decided if you're keeping it yet? If you size down, it might be a little less baggy!

Gigi - Haha, that is a good tip - thanks! I would definitely wear this with the sleeves up - I don't even wear my sleeves unrolled for work :)

Striped shirts December 3, 2009 at 6:38 AM  

Great purchase I think anyway. Agree with gigiofca one more button as I like more of a v shape on striped shirts. It completes the look.