Wednesday, April 29, 2009

J.Crew: Featherweight Cotton V-Neck Cardigan Review

So first off, notice the picture above.  This is the thumbnail view of J.Crew's Featherweight Cotton V-Neck Cardigan (item #14988).  Someone certainly got their cardigans mixed up.  The real sweater is below.


This cardigan retails for $59.50.  J.Crew describes this cardigan as such:
Fitted and extremely flattering, this versatile lightweight cardigan is smart dressing at its best. Made from cotton in a 16-gauge knit, we finished it with faux-crystal buttons for added detail and a subtle hint of embellishment. Fitted. V-neck. Rib trim at neck, cuffs and hem. Three-quarter sleeves. Hits at hip. Import. Machine wash.
It comes in a number of colors: black, breeze, navy, pale aloe, sea green, weathered stone, natural, dark persimmon, melon, light petunia, sweet fuchsia, amethyst, white, and spring daisy. (That's a lot of colors.  And a lot of creativity in the naming.)

This cardigan also comes in J.Crew's favorite spring pink, shell, but I don't see it online.  I tried this on in a small.

The cardigan is definitely featherweight - it is a pretty thin sweater, but the cotton is super soft.  It is not as drapey as the Georgia cardigan (probably because that cardigan has silk in it), and has a more fitted look, which I think is nice - I usually prefer fitted sweaters to shapeless ones.  I think the cardigan fits true-to-size.

I like the length of the cardigan - it hits around the hip, so it is long enough to be paired with longer tops, but still short enough so that it's not hugging your rear, and works as a layering piece.  The sleeves are not tight, which I also like.

This is a close up of the faux-crystal buttons.  They are all right, and didn't really sway my decision one way or another about this sweater.  I think they are a nice detail, but nothing super special.

As you can see, I tried this on with the Watercolor skirt and the Garland cami, and I have to say that I really like this outfit.  I did end up getting this sweater, as I think it's the perfect weight for when it's warm enough to go sleeveless, but for whatever reason, you prefer not to.

What do you think?  Do you like this sweater?  Which (of the many) colors would you get it in?  What do you think of the buttons?

6 comments:

Margot April 29, 2009 at 3:48 PM  

I tried it on in that shell color, and really liked it. I did not buy it, because I'd bought the summerweight rayon 2 weeks before :-( I see it is really flattering: it looks great on you.

KatyO. April 29, 2009 at 5:49 PM  

It looks great on you. :) Glad you got it.

Anonymous April 29, 2009 at 6:38 PM  

ITA, it looks good on you! I saw this a couple of weeks ago in the Cambridgeside store but couldn't find it online -- and later they sold out of the shell in my size. And as you pointed out, it's not available in that color online anyway. Well, I guess that's all for the best, because given how much I spent this morning on the sale, I don't know if I can allow myself to get this FP. I'll just enjoy it vicariously on your blog. :-)

math teacher April 29, 2009 at 8:35 PM  

I love this sweater - it's cute on you. I also bought this, but in sweet fuschia (to go with the watercolor skirt). I would buy this in other colors b/c I think it's a perfect spring/summer (fall too here in SC) cardigan.

jjc April 30, 2009 at 6:36 PM  

Love the outfit!

I got the skirt but not the cardi. The one I tried on today already misses one button (quality, quality) and although it feels good and the shell color looks subtle, I put it back. If it goes on sale, might merit a second look.

JTS May 17, 2009 at 9:41 PM  

@Margot - I LOVE the shell color, it's one of my favorites! I cannot remember the summerweight rayon - which one is it?

@KatyO - Thank you! :)

@Anon - Thanks! Aww, when that happens it is such a blessing and a curse! Good for your wallet, sad for missing out :( Hopefully it will go on sale soon!

@math teacher - Oooh, fuchsia would look nice with this skirt! I also picked up a few colors because I think it's such a nice weight!

@JJC - Thank you! That stinks about the button - hopefully it will get marked down soon for you and Anon!