Saturday, April 11, 2009

Banana Republic: Ruched Georgette Dress Review

This is Banana Republic's Ruched Georgette Dress (item #647618) comes in canary yellow and black. I saw this dress during one of BR's new rollouts online, and I was instantly smitten. I love silk georgette fabrics (any light and airy fabrics, actually), and I loved the silhoutte of this dress. BR describes the dress as such:

A beautiful layer of sher black crepe against black makes for modern elegance. The mix of a stark black hue and ethereal fabrics in a draped silhouette makes this both dramatic and feminine. Twist straps.

This dress retails for $150, but all dresses are currently on sale in-store at BR (at least at my local BR) for $98 or less. This dress is not on sale online, but is available in tall and petites online (only in yellow though).

I tried this dress on in my regular BR dress size, but it was too large in the bust area. I was so disappointed. It would have required a bit of tailoring to get the dress to fit right in my regular size - the straps would have to be shortened, and the sides would have had to be taken in.

The fabric on this dress is so nice. Very light and airy, and soft as well. Don't let the BlackBerry picture below fool you - the yellow dress is very bright, but I loved it. So sunny! The slight ruching on the waist and bust is a really elegant touch, and the bodice is an interesting detail. One problem I had with the yellow dress is that it was slightly see-through.

I tried sizing down in this dress, and it fit much better. I definitely would not wear a push-up bra or anything with this size. The dress wasn't too tight, but there wasn't that much extra room for any extra padding on top. I think the smaller size created a bit more of a silhouette, and the straps and bust fit just great. They didn't have this size in a yellow, otherwise I would have taken it home right away.

Here is a close-up of the twisted strap.

So what do you think? Do you like this dress? Have you picked it up or tried it on? What do you think of the bright yellow color?

5 comments:

Lee April 11, 2009 at 6:07 PM  

you look lovely!

i saw this in the BR near grand central (NY) today and fell in love with it too. esp the twisted straps :D

GingerSnap April 11, 2009 at 8:17 PM  

I purchased this dress in the yellow color last week (on promotion). I found that it ran true to size (at least in the petite version). I agree that it is a little see-through (just wear nude panties!) But I too was instantly in love...it is very BRIGHT but oh it is lovely! I could not resist it (now if I only had a place to wear it...)

Michelle April 12, 2009 at 1:49 AM  

This dress is adorable on you!!

JTS April 18, 2009 at 10:04 PM  

@Lee - Thank you so much! I agree, the twisted straps are such a cute detail!

@GingerSnap - Ahhh! I'm so glad you got it! Can't wait to see your pics on your blog when you wear it for your outfit of the day! I don't have any place to wear it either, but I bet I could find one if I had the dress :)

@Michelle - thank you so much! :)

Anonymous April 27, 2018 at 2:53 PM  

It is possible for you to offer entirely free reign to your creativity and operate wonders together with unstitched Dress materials. Georgette Dress Material By textileexport