Saturday, April 4, 2009

J.Crew: Jenna's Picks - Lemlem Scarf

Jenna's next pick up for discussion is the Lemlem Scarf (item #16520). It is from Liya Kebede's new Lemlem line. J.Crew describes the scarf as such:

We fell in love with international goodwill ambassador Liya Kebede's line of handmade garments. Lemlem, meaning "to bloom" in Amharic, was started as a way to provide Ethiopian weavers with a means to escape poverty. The result? An amazing collection of delicately handcrafted pieces. Fashioned in pure striped cotton with a gorgeous gauzy feel, this dreamy scarf boasts hand embroidered at edges and fringed ends. The perfect accessory for breezy spring days and nights. Handmade in Ethiopia. Catalog/jcrew.com only.
I think they did a great job styling the scarf in the picture - I actually thought this was one, full colorful scarf, but it's actually the two different colored scarves together. The scarf is available in white pink stripe and white natural stripe.

I think the scarf is pretty, if not a little basic. It seems like a pretty versatile piece, but I can't see myself forking over $80 for a cotton scarf with a "gauzy" feel. I would like to see the embroidery up close though.

What do you think? Do you own this scarf? Is it on your wishlist? Would you pay $80 for it?

5 comments:

Michelle April 5, 2009 at 1:50 AM  

I completely agree with you. Love the scarf, but $80 - I don't think so. If I see it on FS for $20 then its a deal. ;o)

ashley April 5, 2009 at 2:04 AM  

beautiful scarf for sure! but $80?! Too much $$$!

Anonymous April 5, 2009 at 9:16 AM  

My friend found scarves like these in a Tibetan products shop for $7-10.

Anonymous May 1, 2009 at 10:22 PM  

These scarfs cost $ 4-6 in Ethiopia..its actually the traditional scarf women wear in Ethiopia...I know someone who makes exactly the same thing...and i can get it for max $6..
This is def a rip off...

JTS May 19, 2009 at 12:05 PM  

I think it's disappointing that they would charge so much for this scarf, especially given other scarves that both of the Anons have mentioned :(