Friday, April 10, 2009

J.Crew: Faille Maisey Jacket Review

This is J.Crew's Faille Maisy Jacket (item #11977), which originally retailed for $148, with select colors on sale now for $89.99. This jacket comes in a navy, natural, and dusty pink color. J.Crew describes the jacket as such:

Simple, sweet and detailed with pleats. Our designers gave it a classic fit with pleating at the waist seam for a flattering feminine shape and inverted pleats at the back. Cotton/poly/nylon. Rounded collar. Long sleeves. Vertical hidden pockets. Sleeves are lined. Hits at hip. Import. Dry clean.
I just sort of stumbled upon this jacket in-store, and I tried it on in the natural color. Here is the online picture of the natural color for reference.

The jacket fits true-to-size with a little wiggle room, I think. I think it looks a little shapeless from the front. The fabric is nice and moveable, and a little more durable than a regular cotton jacket.

From the side I think it's pretty cute. The bit of flare at the natural waist is cute. I also like the contrasting lining that you can see when you roll up the sleeves (navy, in my case).

I am not typically a fan of pleats - I don't own any pleated pants. But I thought the inverted pleats on the back were kind of cute, and made this jacket more interesting beyond being another neutral colored jacket.

The Boyfriend loved this coat on me - he thought it was really cute, so he ended up buying it for me! After I steam this jacket, I'll be definitely be wearing it around!

What do you think? Do you like this jacket? Do you already own it? Do you like the pleats?

8 comments:

ashley April 10, 2009 at 12:09 PM  

cute jacket. i like the pleats in the back. you should start posting what size it is you have on as well. :)

Cate April 10, 2009 at 3:07 PM  

very cute jacket! may have to go buy :D

Anonymous April 11, 2009 at 7:01 PM  

Adorable jacket but sizing is problematic. 6 fits in shoulders but sleeves too long and body too big. Just ordered the 4 -- hope it will work. Nothing but pink left in 2 and 0. JCrew sizing is all over the place in their tops. I wear a 0 bottom but tops could be anything from 0 to 6

JTS April 19, 2009 at 8:55 PM  

@Ashley - I have gone back and forth about posting sizes, I can never really decide (this is a 4 though, in case you were curious).

@Cate - Did you pick it up? I was just okay with it on the hanger, but I thought it was cute on. Plus the BF liked it, so that is always a plus :)

@Anon - I hope the sizing worked out for you! I have the same issue with shoulders vs. body sometimes, it makes it hard to shop online! I didn't see the pink one in-store, but I saw it online, and I really like it!

Cate May 22, 2009 at 11:11 AM  

i actually just bought this jacket for 39.99! over a month after i said I wanted it. lol

JTS May 26, 2009 at 8:42 PM  

Cate - yay! I'm glad you were able to get it, and what a steal! :)

Anonymous May 30, 2009 at 3:30 PM  

Thank you for your positive review on this jacket. I just received the Maisey jacket which I purchased online ($39.99) in dusty rose and LOVE it. I'm very tall and it fits well-- good sleeve length too. It has a sort of a modern, (but hip and fun) Mary Poppins look, very feminine. I wore it with a summery, lightweight/sheer J Crew long cotton scarf (it added some interest over the jacket) and a long, gauzy, taupe skirt with the spearmint, JCrew scoop neck perfect-T and got lots of compliments on the jacket. It seems to be very well made and a great price too. I'm glad that I made the purchase.

JTS June 4, 2009 at 11:16 PM  

Hi Anon - thank you! I'm glad you found the review useful. Your outfit sounds really cute! I'm glad you were able to get this, and especially at the sale price!!