Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Note on Sizing

So as mentioned previously, almost everyone is requesting that I include sizing information with my reviews.  I will do that starting today/tomorrow, but please note that I will not be going back and updating the previous reviews.  If you have a size question about a review I already did, please e-mail me or leave a comment on that post.


I do feel like I need to explain a couple things before I start including sizes.  You may wonder why I never included them before, and that's for a few reasons.

For one thing, the same item in the same size can fit differently on two different people, or even on the same person - that's just the nature of apparel sizing.  I strongly believe that you should try on clothes (when possible) for yourself, and gauge your own comfort level in each item.  I am happy to provide a reference point, but I urge you not to take sizing recommendations as anything but subjective!

Secondly, and this is more personal (so those of you not looking for personal information feel free to skip over this section!), but I'm still getting used to being a smaller size than I used to be.  About 3 years ago, I was super lucky to lose 20 pounds by doing pretty much nothing, and then this past spring, I lost another 7 pounds (this time by exercising and eating right).  Losing all the weight was great, but I also worry about piling it back on, and as a result, hang on to clothes that are one, two, or even three or four sizes too big, "just in case".  And I can't even tell you the amount of money I've spent to have my bigger clothes tailored down to my size now!

Stemming from that, and from having been noticeably heavier for awhile, I tend to wear clothes that don't actually fit.  I will pick one size, when I am really a size smaller (or two).  

Lastly, I just simply cannot stand clothes that are too tight, whether they are shirts or pants or dresses or skirts.  I really dislike the "stuffed sausage" look, and have been known to go up a size to have my clothes less fitted, rather than wear something that fits, but is too tight for my liking.

I hope this information is helpful to know before I start including sizes.  As a reference, these are the typical sizes I will wear.  These are the sizes that I am usually referring to when I say my "regular" size and such-and-such a store.
  • Pants - size 4 or 6
  • Skirts - size 2, 4, and 6, or S
  • Dresses - size 2 or 4, or XS or S
  • Tops (includes sweaters and shirts) - size 4 or S
  • Sleeveless tops - size 0 or 2, or XS
  • Shoe size - 6 (can also fit children's 3.5 and 4, and women's 5.5)
For additional reference, here are some stats on me:
  • Height - 5'0"
  • Bust - 34/36B
  • Waist - 27"ish
  • Hips - 37"ish
  • Inseam - 27"ish

5 comments:

dinagideon April 28, 2009 at 3:03 PM  

Thank you for this. I hear you on the whole weight loss thing...I must have 100 pieces of clothing that I am hanging onto "just in case" I get heavier again. (I can't get rid of them--I may just get pregnant in the future and go through the dreaded postpartum phase again.)

Congrats on your weight loss. You look great!

Michelle April 29, 2009 at 1:08 AM  

Thank you for posting your stats! I'm sorry but I could tell that you were on the shorter side, but I wasn't sure how tall you were. You are my height (and I LOVE my height)!! Thanks again.

And funny - I lost 15 lbs and have lots of clothes that are too big too. I also hang on to them just in cast.

Michelle April 29, 2009 at 1:08 AM  

Meant case not cast. :o)

PS - I think you look great too!

JTS May 17, 2009 at 9:51 PM  

@Dina - Thank you! I have a few things I hold on to, and take forever to get things tailored, "just in case". My boyfriend can't stand it ;)

@Michelle - Haha, nothing to be sorry about! I am pretty short, but I love it (most of the time ;)) I am glad I am not the only one :)

kendra June 14, 2009 at 10:13 PM  

Just wanted to add a comment here--

you look great! I totally understand about hanging onto clothes---stored in my parents' basement are clothes from a size 0 to a size 12 "just in case" I gain or lose the weight again...it's difficult knowing that you paid hard-earned money and may never get to wear the clothes again!!

I also just wanted to say (and I apologize if this is out of line) that you should consider buying some things a bit smaller/more fitted-- you have a great figure; show it off!!

;)