Tuesday, April 14, 2009

J.Crew: Jenna's Picks - Cotton Sateen Gateau Skirt & Merino Michelle V-Neck Cardigan

J.Crew's Cotton Sateen Gateau Skirt (item #13464) is another one of Jenna's Picks. This skirt originally retailed for $88, but select colors are on sale for $69.50. J.Crew describes the skirt as such:

A sweet confection in cotton sateen. This feminine skirt features pleated tiers and inverted pleats around the waist, creating a flirty bell shape. Sits at waist. Side zip. 20" long. Import. Dry clean.
This is another one of Jenna's Picks that mysteriously changed after they were originally posted. The picture now calls your attention to the Merino Michelle V-Neck Cardigan (item #11659), which also retailed for $88, with select colors on sale now for $69.50, and other colors on sale for $49.99. J.Crew describes the cardigan as such:

The perfect finishing touch to any outfit—layer it on. We love it ladylike and belted, or casual and comfortable over jeans and shorts. Merino wool in a 14-gauge knit. Enamel buttons. Fitted. V-neck. Rib trim at neck, cuffs and hem. Long sleeves. Hits at low hip. Import. Dry clean.

I can't really comment on the sweater, because I generally avoid wool clothes, and so this would probably never make it into my wardrobe. Plus, earlier this year I bought a ton of Gap's New V-Neck Cardigans, which, in my opinion, are pretty darn similar to this one.

As for the skirt, I totally love it. When it first debuted, it was one of the items I really wanted to get, but I held off, and I'm glad I did, because I ended up getting 3 of them, and all on various promotions. I love the shape of the skirt, and I think the tiers and the pleats add a nice, feminine touch. (Check back later today for my review of the skirt.)

What do you think? Do you like the skirt or sweater? Do you own either one?

2 comments:

TUMC April 14, 2009 at 5:53 PM  

I have the Michelle in dark charcoal and like it -- not scratchy or itchy at all. It's a bit long for someone who's 5'3" like me, but I got it in a dark color and will most likely always wear it with dark pants so as to create a longer monochromatic line. I did buy it in light pewter as well but ended up returning it because in a light color, it really did cut me in half visually. Plus it's really thin, so any shirt you're wearing underneath shows through. For light-colored sweaters, I'm going to stick to things that are described as hitting at the hip or hitting at the high hip -- I've learned from painful experience that they just work better on me.

JTS April 18, 2009 at 9:55 PM  

Hi TUMC - thanks for the real life info! I'm seriously considering going to the store tomorrow to check this out since it's supposedly on sale! I did feel it in-store last week, and it was soft, and not scratchy, so we'll see :)