Monday, April 13, 2009

J.Crew: Broadcloth Scallop Shell Review

This is J.Crew's Broadcloth Scallop Shell (item #12548), which originally retailed for $69.50, with select colors on sale for $49.99. J.Crew describes the shell as such:

Equally chic paired with shorts or a cropped trouser—this cotton broadcloth shell has a silk charmeuse scalloped trim down the center front placket. Mandarin collar with button detail. Sleeveless. Straight hem. Classic fit. Hits at low hip. Import. Machine wash.
Here is a picture of the white shell on the hanger.

This shell is numerically-sized, and I think it runs a tad large - I was able to comfortably get into one size smaller than my regular top size for J.Crew. To me, the front is just okay. I am not a fan of mandarin collars or keyhole tops, so this just wasn't doing it for me. The fabric is a nice, crisp cotton.

The darts give you a nice silhouette from the side. You don't have to worry about blousing or looking too big, which is always a plus. One thing I do like about this shirt is that it would look nice tucked in or out, and I am always a fan of shirts that look good either way.

The back was a tad bit sheer, but not enough to be indecent or distracting. I don't feel like I would need to wear a cami or tank underneath this. Again, the darts give you a nice figure (at least I think so).

Here is a close-up of the scalloping detail. I really liked the scallops - they are very delicate, and add a nice detail to the shirt.

The Boyfriend really liked this top as well, but I didn't like it as much. I ended up leaving this one at the store.

What do you think? Do you like this top? Do you own it? What do you think of the scallops?

3 comments:

Melissa@AllThingsSimplified April 13, 2009 at 11:42 AM  

I initially bought this in the Navy but returned it...the opening in the front was too low on me, and the collar felt to *closed in*. I just wasn't loving it for me.

Kristie April 14, 2009 at 9:51 PM  

I have this shirt and have worn it a ton. It goes great under a navy jacket!

JTS April 18, 2009 at 10:01 PM  

@FFM - I was not comfortable with how low it was either, and while it wasn't terrible, I just wasn't in love with it! (Even though The Boyfriend did!)

@Kristie - That sounds like a really chic combination! And I love your picture!