Saturday, April 18, 2009

J.Crew FO: Taffeta Rugby Skirt Review

J.Crew Outlet is carrying a skirt that is pretty close to the Taffeta Rugby Skirt (or at least I think so, since I've never seen the retail skirt myself).  The skirt at J.Crew Outlet is item number 12702.  It is numerically-sized, and was marked $98.  It was not on sale when I tried it on.


I tried this skirt on in my regular J.Crew skirt size, and found that the skirt fit true-to-size.  It has a nice A-line shape, and falls just a smidge below the knees, which is a nice change from J.Crew's usual length on regular (non-petite) skirts.

The skirt has on-seam pockets, which I think are a cute touch.  I don't carry much in my pockets, but they are high enough to give you a nice place to stick your hands if you don't know what else to do with them.  The skirt is a little full, owing to a bit of pleating, but doesn't make you look wider or thicker than you are, which is always nice.

Again, no extra volume from the back.  The pleating is frequent enough so that it is full without being boring and just hanging there.

I left this skirt at the outlet because of the price, but also because of the colors.  While I think the orangey-red and grey colours work well together, and still make for a cute skirt, I just didn't love them enough in this skirt together to take it home.  At the time, I couldn't recall which retail skirt this was mimicking, but I much prefer the orange and pink.

What do you think?  Do you like this skirt?  Do you prefer the retail version?  Do you think $98 is too much for this skirt?

5 comments:

Buffy Alten April 18, 2009 at 6:10 PM  

yuck.

Jemma April 20, 2009 at 11:57 PM  

I am having a serious issue with the version from last summer I got on FS and have no idea how to wear it....

JTS April 22, 2009 at 7:47 PM  

@kirbydog - What aspect is "yuck"? The skirt design, fabric, colors, etc.? Or just overall :)

@Jemma Ruby - I have a couple ideas on how to style it - I will put together a couple Polyvores and post for you!

C April 22, 2009 at 8:42 PM  

i really do not like all the contrast of the wide orange/gray stripes....you could play them down with a long orange cardigan...or try to offset them with a splashy orange floral top, but they are kind of "clownish" and why have something so prominent that you have to work to play it down? I am not even convinced that I would like it on a super tall model, because it would not make the stripes less "in your face." I think, as bright as pink and orange are, they create less contrast and blend together into one bright better.

JTS April 27, 2009 at 8:08 PM  

Hi C - I don't find the orange and grey mix appealing either - the orange and pink is much cuter to me, even if it is bright!