Saturday, April 11, 2009

J.Crew: Slub Cotton Cottage Dress Review

J.Crew's Slub Cotton Cottage Dress (item #13612) retails for $69.50, and is available in a number of colors: black, garden green, slate (grey), and tea rose. J.Crew describes the dress as such:

A carefree silhouette that loves long walks on the beach or days in town. Slub cotton bodice, cotton poplin skirt. Sleeveless silhouette. Fitted bodice, flowy skirt. Scoopneck. Rib trim at neck and armholes. Empire waist with ruffle shirring on woven skirt. Falls to midthigh; 20" from natural waist. Import. Machine wash.
I tried this dress on in the slate color. Here is how it is displayed online.

So let me just say I don't like this dress at all. I think it feels cheap, and I don't think the slub cotton top and cotton poplin bottom works together at all. It fits fairly true to size, but I think you could get away with sizing down. You can see the top of the dress kind of gapes on me.

Totally unflattering from the side - it seems so shapeless! I think this might be because the cotton poplin in the skirt does not move well at all. It just kind of hangs there.

I actually find the shape of the back kind of nice, but it still just kind of hangs there. I didn't even notice the band on the bottom hem until I grabbed the pictures from J.Crew's website.

I definitely left this dress behind. I had no interest in taking it home at all. I think if they had made the skirt in a more moveable fabric, and made the top a little bit more fitted, I might have considered taking this one home.

What do you think? Do you like this dress? Do you have it? Which colors do you like?

7 comments:

GingerSnap April 11, 2009 at 10:05 AM  

I am not a fan of this dress either...it just doesn't do anything...it kinda hangs there. I'm glad you left this one behind! :)

math teacher April 11, 2009 at 10:55 AM  

I bought this dress in tea rose. As a larger chested girl, it worked nice on me and was TTS (which is unusual for me and JC knits). I will wear it with my aquarmine jackie to school. I thought it was flattering on me, and so did my ps, the sa, and another customer in the dressing room. Guess it's not for everyone, though. :) I just wish it had pockets.

Jordyn April 11, 2009 at 2:42 PM  

I bought this dress in Black in a small and medium (I ordered online) and they both looked HORRIBLE!!! The material is too sheer for my taste. I had hoped it would be like the beach dress from last year but no luck.

Michelle April 12, 2009 at 1:51 AM  

I agree - not a fan. It just kinda looks blah (on all the pictures I have seen of it, not just here). I think it is a pass.

JTS April 19, 2009 at 9:13 PM  

@GingerSnap - I am always amazed how well they can manipulate the pics online!

@Math Teacher - I am glad this one worked out for you! The tea rose and aquamarine combo sounds super pretty together :)

@Jordan - Which one was the beach dress? I LOVE your profile picture!!

@Michelle - I agree - 'blah' sums up this dress perfectly for me!

tbunny34 June 2, 2009 at 10:38 PM  

I love this dress and have been looking for one in my size - does anyone have one in a Small?????

JTS June 4, 2009 at 11:51 PM  

@tbunny34 - I have seen some in the stores, but haven't checked the sizes. Sorry :(