Thursday, April 9, 2009

J.Crew: Bermuda Shorts Review

These are J.Crew's Stretch Summerweight Bermuda shorts (item #99432), which originally retailed for $49.50, and is on sale for $39.50. This item is available in-store and online, and is available in several addition colors: navy, honey brown, grey, bright tulip (above, and the color I tried on), white, stone, and sweet cantaloupe. J.Crew describes the shorts as such:

Our famous lightweight cotton chino, with a hint of stretch. City fit—our lowest rise. Sits just above hip. Belt loops. Zip fly. Front and back welt pockets. 11" inseam. Import. Machine wash.
I found that these shorts fit true-to-size, and wore my same size as regular J.Crew shorts. The little bit of stretch is nice, too.

As soon as I put on these shorts, I think I started laughing. I am not a fan of these shorts at all - I think these are just a bit too long on me. I would have preferred the shorts at 9" over the 11" bermudas.

I have always been a fan of the double belt back loops and welt pockets, but even those couldn't save these shorts for me. The color I tried on is supposedly the same that the model is wearing, and while the lighting makes the colors a little off in the pictures, they were definitely not as pink as the ones on the model.

I definitely passed on these shorts. The chino fabric is super nice and soft, like J.Crew's other chino shirts, but I prefer my chino shorts a tad bit shorter.

What do you think? Do you like these shorts? Do you like bermudas?

6 comments:

GingerSnap April 9, 2009 at 1:55 PM  

In general I like bermudas. It really depends on the specific pair of shorts though (heels can help)!

Angela April 10, 2009 at 12:57 PM  

I tried them on and was surprised at how good they fit. I had them shortened one inch for free at the store.

Anonymous April 11, 2009 at 10:02 AM  

i bought them in kakhi and navy and was very surprised at how nice they looked on me as I am usually a capri wearer.

JTS April 18, 2009 at 2:36 PM  

@GingerSnap - I am too old (not literally) and boring to ever wear heels with shorts :)

@Angela - how tall are you? I might have liked them better if they were a wee bit shorter, or a bit more fitted.

@Anon - I'm glad they worked out for you!

Anonymous April 25, 2009 at 7:37 PM  

I bought three pairs of these shorts in February and they've been waiting in my closet until today when it was finally shorts weather. I love the fit, length, colors, everything but when I put them on and ripped out the stitching in the pockets, I was seriously disappointed in the pocket size, something that it never occurred to me to check. I can't fit my phone in the back pockets and when I put it in the front pocket it comes flying out. There's barely room for money and a chapstick. I had to have my husband hold my phone and car keys. I am very disappointed. Who knew I had to check pocket size? The back pockets are about 3 inches deep. I wore them to a baseball game today which is not a place I want to carry a purse to. Love the way they look though.

JTS May 18, 2009 at 7:50 PM  

@Anon - Thanks for sharing! That is a good point to consider pockets when trying things on - I usually only look at the front pockets, but back pockets are also important, especially if you want to go bag-less!