Sunday, April 12, 2009

J.Crew: Tiered Ruffle Skirt Review

J.Crew's Tiered Ruffle Skirt (item #11625) retails for $148, and only comes in this one color, light pewter. J.Crew describes the skirt as such:

A playful piece featuring tiered ruffles of crinkled cotton and whisper-thin silk chiffon, with a flattering full silhouette. Sits lower on waist. Side zip. 19" long. Import. Dry clean.
This skirt is alpha-sized, and I think it runs true-to-size. There might be some wiggle room for those of you at the low end of your size. I liked this skirt, but I didn't love it. For one thing, I think the contrasting layers of crinkled cotton and silk chiffon are weird. Up close, the difference was noticeable to me, and I would have liked the skirt in one fabric or the other (and I would have preferred the silk chiffon, because I was not crazy about the crinkled cotton).

I also expected this skirt to move a little better, but it felt stiff to me - at least, stiffer than it ought to feel. I thought the skirt had a nice shape, and was nice and ruffley without adding too much bulk.

One thing I love about this skirt is the length. 19 inches is good for me - not too short, and not too long!

I would have been more tempted by this skirt if it had had a little more movement to it. It just sort of hung there on me, and so I passed for now. I really wanted to like it more, because it's very feminine and playful, but because I didn't love it (and it cost $148), I left it behind. Maybe if it goes on sale I would consider it.

What do you think? Do you like this skirt? Do you own it? Do you like the ruffle trend?

2 comments:

Anonymous April 12, 2009 at 10:47 AM  

What size did you try?

JTS April 18, 2009 at 2:39 PM  

Hi Anon - this is a size 4!