Thursday, April 9, 2009

J.Crew: Heavyweight Jersey Cabana Dress Review

This is J.Crew's Heavyweight Jersey Cabana Dress (item #13463). It originally retailed for $78, with select colors on sale for $59.50. J.Crew describes the dress as such:

It's all about easy dressing. We love the feel of this this soft, comfortable cotton jersey dress. Its V-neck features a split placket with trapunto stitching for added detail. Straight bodice. Sleeveless. Welt pockets. Falls to midthigh. Import. Machine wash.
This dress is alpha-sized, and is available in a number of colors: weathered stone (light brown), bright cantaloupe, white, black, slate (light grey), dark charcoal (dark grey), shell, and misty lavender. I had read that this dress runs large, so I tried it on in in a size down from my regular J.Crew dress size, and it was still roomy.

I did not like this dress. I really wanted to like it, and tried it on just for my vacation, but the shapelessness was killing it (in a bad way) for me. It just hung there, looking like I'd grabbed a really low-cut tee shirt to wear for the day. Plus, I dislike kangaroo pouch pockets on anything except hoodies (personal preference).

I tried it belted, and it helped the dress a tiny bit, but not even close to enough to make me even consider taking it home.

I left this one behind because I can't see myself ever wearing this, even as a beach cover-up. Plus, since I already have a bunch of cute beach dresses, this was an easy skip!
What do you think? Do you like this dress? Do you like kangaroo pouch pockets on dresses? How do you like the shapeless look J.Crew is busting out this season?

4 comments:

Michelle April 9, 2009 at 1:58 AM  

I like it on you with the belt! It is adorable. Too bad you have so many dresses. ;o)

GingerSnap April 9, 2009 at 7:55 AM  

I tried this dress on too and it is WAY roomy. I usually like the relaxed look (but usually only with a belt) but this one was too roomy even for me!

Laura April 9, 2009 at 11:44 PM  

I have this dress and actually really like it. I did a video review on my blog if you want to check it out :)

JTS April 19, 2009 at 9:17 PM  

@Michelle - Thanks! haha, yes, I have WAY too many dresses :) I am trying to limit myself to only those I'm super in love with.

@GingerSnap - I was surprised how loose this was, even in the smaller size! I bet you were swimming in this one!

@Laura - Thanks for the alternative view! It's always nice to see other opinions, especially when they are the opposite! :)