Friday, April 10, 2009

J.Crew: Jenna's Picks - Dulce Sequin Skirt

Jenna's next (and most expensive) pick is the Dulce Sequin Skirt (item #13323), which is currently sold out, but retailed for an incredible $450. Interestingly enough, this was J.Crew's original "Jenna's Pick", but shortly after the newest batch of picks was released, J.Crew changed the pick to the Slub Cotton Ripple-Ruffle Short-Sleeve Tee (item #13620), which I'll talk about in another post.

J.Crew describes the Dulce Sequin Skirt as such:

A very limited-edition silk organza skirt (only a handful were made). A stunner in a luscious shade of burnt caramel. Sequined entirely by hand, it has our favorite new detail of the moment: a contrasting black elastic waistband. Classic pencil-skirt shape. Sits at waist. Side zip. Fully lined. 23 1/2" long. Part of the J.Crew Collection. Import. Available in select stores.
The skirt is a little too shiny for me, and between this skirt and the infamous zebra tee, I might be a little sequin-ed out.

I'm not crazy about elastic waistbands, especially on pencil skirts and for especially not for $450, and even if they are in "contrasting black". Other than that, I think it is a fairly regular, very sequiny pencil skirt. At 23.5 inches, it's a bit longer than J.Crew's other pencil skirts they have produced this season.

For me, I just wouldn't have enough occasions to wear this, and even the occasions I can think of, I think I might be a tad overdressed. The combination of that and the price makes this a definite pass for me.

What do you think? Were you able to get a Dulce Sequin Skirt? Would you get this skirt if you could? What do you think of elastic waistbands and sequins?

3 comments:

Anonymous May 5, 2009 at 2:17 AM  

wondering how many of these sequin skirts they made because they already sold out even though it's 450. like 5? anyway, i love the looks of the photo of this online skirt. if they have any left, maybe they will go on sale.

ps - i have nowhere to wear this to, but i would buy it if it was half the price - it looks like a beauty!

Anonymous May 19, 2009 at 11:09 AM  

I just got this on the website. I think they had one in a Size 2 because immediately after I purchased, it said Sold Out again. I think an elastic waistband is a good idea. It still zips up like any normal pencil skirt. It's like ballet elastic. I will probably wear this with a slouchy slubbed white tee from Anthropologie and some gold platforms.

JTS May 19, 2009 at 12:17 PM  

@Anon 1 - That is a good question. some of their "collection" pieces seem to hang around for awhile, but others seem to sell out really quickly, and they are oftentimes the really expensive ones! I would not know where to wear this either, but if it were a lot cheaper, I would think about it as a special piece! :)

@Anon 2 - Wow, that's great! Good thing you were able to get it! :) Let us know how it is once you get it - your outfit sounds really cute!