Thursday, April 16, 2009

J.Crew FO: Polka Dot Bow Skirt Review

J.Crew Factory Outlet is carrying a copy of the polka-dot bow skirt from last summer.  It is item number 12698 at the outlets, and was marked $64.50.  I actually just recently bought this skirt from the lovely Slastena through the JCA exchange, but in the pink dots.


I tried this skirt on in my regular skirt size, and I found that it fits true-to-size.  One difference between the retail skirt and the outlet version is that the outlet version does not have the off-seam, grosgrain-trimmed pockets (similar to this season's Nicky skirt).

I think the skirt looks good from the front, but not so much from the side.  It puffs out in the front, and to be honest, I think it looks kind of awkward.  This may have been because I didn't adjust the pleats properly.  I don't remember the retail version looking like this.

It does look nice from the back though (I think), and I like the length of it.  I didn't notice a huge difference in fabric quality between this and the retail skirt either (pretty sure it is some type of cotton).

I love the navy blue polka-dots, but I didn't really want to fork over $64.50 for the skirt, even if it did retail for $98 or something like that.  Luckily, the outlets run frequent promotions, so I may consider it if it ends up going on sale.

What do you think?  Do you like this skirt?  Do you have the retail or factory version?  Do you like the blue or pink dots better?

3 comments:

GingerSnap April 16, 2009 at 8:04 PM  

I bought the J.Crew version of this skirt (in petite of course) in the black polka dots when it was on final sale for $69.99. I just love it. My favorite part abotu it are the pockets and of course the bow on the waist! Yay bows :)

ashley April 17, 2009 at 7:27 AM  

its cute but looks rather big on you. maybe if it was a tad shorter?

JTS April 18, 2009 at 9:50 PM  

@GingerSnap - I saw it pop up on final sale a couple times, but it was always gone quickly or not in my size. I love bows too! :)

@Ashley - Yeah, it is definitely hanging oddly!