Tuesday, April 28, 2009

J.Crew: Cafe Capri Pants Review (Round 2)

So, you may remember that I already tried on these pants before.  Well, I just can't get away from these pants.  Just to recap, these are item #10492, and J.Crew describes the Cafe Capri as such:
Our favorite Cafe Capri is back—updated with new waistband details. We love this pant—it's practical and effortlessly chic. Cotton with a hint of stretch. Zip fly with hook-and-bar closure. Back welt pockets. Import. Machine wash. Catalog/jcrew.com only.
  • City fit—our lowest rise.
  • Sits just above hip.
  • Fitted through hip, with a slim, straight leg.
  • 23" inseam.
My PS brought me these pants to try in this pinky-orange color (I think they are sweet papaya).  I didn't like the color much, but I decided to give the pants another try in black, as I have been looking for a nice, lightweight black pant for the summer.  These are a size 6 (as were the pink ones I tried on previously).

I think these pants fit true-to-size, but again, are a little on the slimmer size.  So if you have hips (like me), then I would recommend trying them on to see which size you like best.

I have to say, these pants are so much more flattering from the side, at least for me.  I could never wear these color pants either.  I'm sure they look great on many of you ladies, but they are just not me at all.

I did end up taking home a pair of the black capris, and I also picked up the pink ones that I reviewed before, as they were now marked down to $19.99!  I am also in love with the navy ones, and may cave and pick up a pair of those, too, but I'm debating ordering them in petite so I can enjoy some actual capris.

What do you think?  Do you like these cafe capris?  Do you like the sweet papaya color?  And just out of curiosity, are there any other shorties out there who buy capri pants to avoid buying regular pants and having them hemmed?

7 comments:

ashley April 28, 2009 at 10:42 AM  

They're a pretty color but not sure if i'd wear that color for pants. maybe a top or dress. how much are the navy ones? they do fit you well thanks for the sizing tip!

Anonymous April 28, 2009 at 12:04 PM  

I have never been able to wear bright pants either. It just screams-- look at my pants!! I typically try to divert the eye up-- not down! LOL I do have a similar color bermuda short though so what do I know! I don't have a lot of luck with J crew capris...

Kristie April 28, 2009 at 1:06 PM  

I have several pairs of these pants in different sizes. The first pair I bought in my original size. They stretch out a ton! I now know to buy down two sizes.

Buffy Alten April 28, 2009 at 2:41 PM  

I own these and like them. I have them in black and tan. I might get the white. I'm on the fence about the papaya color.

Jemma April 28, 2009 at 2:55 PM  

I am wearing these in navy blue in my first blog post- I am not a shortie so they are proper capris on me. I love them them- they are really comfy and fit great. I dont wear anything but dark colors from the belly botton down unless if it is a dress and cut properly. I wore light tan khaki j.crew madisons to an event for work once and one of my colleagues who hadnt seen me in awhile asked if I am really stressed because I gained so much weight (one of those really honest people) and after that I swore off light or colorful pants...

Michelle April 29, 2009 at 1:10 AM  

Are these the same size as the blue ones you reviewed a week ago? I really love the way they fit you (I thought the blue ones were a little baggy).

JTS May 17, 2009 at 9:57 PM  

@Ashley - Yes, I don't think I could pull off this color pants! I ended getting a navy pair - very cute!

@Sea Glass Mom - I feel very self conscious in bright pants - like you said, drawing people to your pants! I think bermudas would be cute because there is not so much of them.

@Kristie - Good to know that they stretch! I only bought down one size, but I also picked them up in petite, so hopefully they will work out :)

@kirbydog - Did you get them in the white? Papaya color is definitely not for me!

@Jemma Ruby - Wow, that IS an "honest" person! I am giving the navy ones a try, and decided to give petites a try to see if I could pull them off :)

@Michelle - Thanks! I think these are the same size - I think the Harbour Oxford capris are a more relaxed fit.