Sunday, April 19, 2009

J.Crew FO: Embroidered Carmen Tank Review

This is J.Crew Outlet's version of the Embroidered Carmen Tank (item #91334), which was available last spring/summer from J.Crew's Vintage Closet line.  The original tank retailed for $88, and the outlet version is marked $54.50.  The retail and outlet tanks have the same item number.  I actually ordered this tank last summer on some type of sale, picking it up for $31.99.


I still love this tank, and was excited when I saw it at the outlet.  It fits like a dream, and I find that it fits perfectly in my regular top size.  The fabric is a nice, soft cotton.  I love it because it's a heavier cotton, but without being thick or bulky.

To be fair, the tank doesn't give you too much shape.  It is a fairly basic tank.  I love it because of all of the detailing - the trim on the top, bottom, and straps, and the cute fabric-covered buttons in the back.

It also has another cute detail - on-seam side pockets, which I also love.  The pockets hit right about at your waist (at least for me).

I think this tank works great alone or as a layering piece.  I think J.Crew did a great job adding the sweet detailing that makes this tank more than just a soft, somewhat boxy or shapeless tank.  I didn't take this one home because I already have one (albeit in a different color and size), and the price was a bit too high for me.  Hopefully it will go on sale soon!

What do you think?  Do you like this tank?  Did you pick it up from the outlets or from retail last year?  

2 comments:

GingerSnap April 19, 2009 at 8:39 PM  

I think it looks cute on you, but I saw this in store and passed. It just wasn't "special" enough (particularly for the price!) As always, I love all your reviews :)

JTS April 22, 2009 at 7:48 PM  

Hi GingerSnap! I love this top - so clean and cute, but I don't love the price :)
I'm glad you like the reviews, you are so sweet!