Wednesday, April 29, 2009

J.Crew: Ombre Pencil Skirt Review

This is J.Crew's Ombre Pencil Skirt (item #16070), which comes in this one color, daffodil.  It retails for $88, and is numerically sized.  J.Crew describes the skirt as such:
A classic pencil-skirt silhouette, in a crisp blend of cotton and linen, overlaid with a subtle but stunning ombre effect. Sits at waist. Back zip. Fully lined. 24" long. Import. Machine wash.
My PS suggested I try this on, and I'm always willing to try something on to see how it looks, but I was already wary of this skirt.  It's a cotton-linen blend, and it's in white, so hello! Wrinkle City.  When I told my PS that I wasn't sure about this skirt because it was so wrinkly, she said she could steam it for me, but since I can't take her home with me, that means I'd have to steam or iron it myself whenever I wanted to wear it.

Regarding the color, I think ombre patterns are hit or miss, and I think this one was a big miss.  I don't the colors blend together as gracefully as ombre should (like a light blue transitioning to a dark grey).  I also do think this pencil skirt shape is as flattering as some of the other pencil skirts J.Crew has put out so far this year.  I think it is a little too voluminous, especially if you have hips.  It might also just be that the skirt just sort of hangs there, but is a little too relaxed to give you that slim, pencil skirt look.

I think it looks better from the side.  It's not nearly as voluminous, but I still can't stand that dip-dye look.  The length was not bad, especially since the skirt does not come in petite.  I will say that the skirt is comfortable, and if you like the pattern, I think it could be easily paired with many different colors and tops.

I didn't take this one home, as I wasn't even close to in love with it.  I like the idea of this skirt, but I don't think it translated well to real-life.

What do you think?  Do you like this skirt?  Would you have liked to see it in other colors?  Do you wear a lot of linen or linen-blend clothes?

3 comments:

Jemma April 29, 2009 at 11:28 AM  

I totally agree with you they moissed the mark with that ombre, it looks more like a dying defect. Don't get me wrong, I have other ombre clothing that I really like but the color combo has to be right as well as the amount of dye on the garment (not just the bottom few inches like here).

KatyO. April 29, 2009 at 5:38 PM  

I don't like it one bit. Thanks for the review. :)

JTS May 17, 2009 at 9:44 PM  

@Jemma Ruby - Yeah, reminds me of a bad dye job!

@KatyO - You're welcome, glad it was helpful :)