Monday, April 13, 2009

J.Crew: Boyfriend Military Jacket Review

This is J.Crew's Boyfriend Military Jacket (item #12542), which retails for $98. It is available in pale surplus (grey) and utility green. J.Crew describes the jacket as such:

His military-inspired jacket—in a fit that's so chic on her. Cotton with utility details—heavy stitching and chunky top and bottom patch pockets on the front of
the jacket. Relaxed fit. Straight shape. Pointed collar with trapunto stitching
(three different layers of topstitching that run parallel to one another) and a
tab extension on wearer's right side. Long sleeves with button cuffs. Interior
hidden pocket. Locker loop. Partially lined. Hits at low hip. Import. Machine
wash.


This is the stock photo in utility green.


I know there are a lot of people out there who really like this jacket, but I am not one of them. This jacket is alpha-sized, and I think it runs large. I cannot remember if I officially sized down in this jacket, but at the very least, it was pretty loose on me, and I probably could have gotten away with sizing down.


I really don't have much to say about this jacket. I'll let The Boyfriend say it all. While taking the jacket off the rack:
"Are you Fidel Castro or something?"
After I put it on, he continued the joke:
"Why, hello, Fidel!"
Honestly, my feelings about this jacket don't differ too much. It's not that it's a bad jacket - it's just not really my style. I felt very goofy in it. And shapeless. I do like it better from the side.

And practically passable from the back! I will say the fabric is pretty nice - fairly soft and moveable, which is always nice in a coat.

I think I would have considered this jacket if it didn't have those ridiculous pockets splattered all over the front of it. Heck, if J.Crew made the sleeves detachable, I'd have a military jacket and fishing vest in one!

So what do you think? Do you like this jacket? Do you own it? How many pockets is too many?

4 comments:

CaptainCrew April 13, 2009 at 8:50 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
CaptainCrew April 13, 2009 at 8:51 PM  

I own this jacket and I love it. I do have need for a casual jacket, especially during spring. The many pockets are so useful when I take this jacket on trips as I sometimes cannot carry a bag.

I sized down a full size in this jacket. I love the soft fabric and it is comfortable enough to layer yet it has some shape. I have the gray color and wore it last week with a fuschia tissue turtleneck, faded skinny jeans tucked into gray flat glenbraes. Threw on a white linen scarf and sunglasses and looked effortlessly chic.

Definitely not for everyone, but it is great for me.

GingerSnap April 13, 2009 at 9:09 PM  

It is huge, and like you, I am not a fan of it either!

JTS April 18, 2009 at 9:58 PM  

@CaptainCrew - That is a good way to look at it - never thought of using the pockets when you can't carry a bag! The jacket is definitely soft, that is true! Your outfit sounds super cute!! I am such a boring dresser - I never would have thought of such a great combination of colors and pieces!

@GingerSnap - This seems to me like a love it or (really) dislike it - I wonder how many people out there are just so-so about this one!