Saturday, April 25, 2009

J.Crew: Harbour Oxford Capri Pants Review


These are J.Crew's Harbour Oxford Capri pants (item #15382), which retail for $59.50, and are numerically sized.  They are available in this indigo color, as well as khaki.  J.Crew describes the pants as such:

The cropped length is perfect for showing off the season's sandals. Made from cotton with a clean double hook-and-bar waist and cuffed hem. Belt loops. Zip fly. Slant pockets, back flap pockets. Import. Machine wash.
  • City fit—our lowest rise.
  • Sits just above hip.
  • Slim through hip and thigh, with a straight cropped leg.
  • 26 1/2" inseam
This was one of the items that I was looking for when I went to the store, but I couldn't find them.  I described them to my PS, and she pulled out some cuffed blue capri pants, which I didn't think were the Harbour Oxford Capris, because I missed the part in the online description where it said they were cuffed.

However, these are, indeed, the Harbour Oxford Capri pants.  I will say up front that they are not the same blue as pictured in the model pictures.  They are a bit darker blue, and have more of a "heather" blue appearance.

I tried these pants on in my regular J.Crew pants size, and I found that they fit true-to-size, with a teeny bit of extra room.  I will probably try them on again in a size down if I can.  The fabric was a nice, light-to-medium weight cotton, similar to linen.  It wasn't as smooth as the fabric appears to be in the pictures, but it was nice and soft, and moved nicely.

I thought these pants were just okay.  I had really liked the Harbour Oxford Capri, mainly because of the color and the appearance of the fabric, but I didn't think they were as cute in person.  I do like the cuffs on the pants, and I also like that I could buy these pants and not have to hem them, even though they are capris!  That is one advantage to being so short.  And hmm, please don't mind the belly in the picture below.  :)

I didn't take these pants home.  Sad to say, now that I know they are the pants I was looking for, I may give them another shot, but they will have to be super cute in the next size down for me to take them home.

What do you think?  Do you like these pants?  Do you own them?  Which color would you get them in?

3 comments:

jjc April 26, 2009 at 3:12 PM  

I had to size down for a good fit and I agree the color IRL seems a bit off - not as appealing as the online version.

My PS told me the Cafe Capri is better but I like Oxford's loose fit. So I'm on the fence as to which one to keep.

Btw, the Oxford is selling fast at my local (NYC) B&M.

And thanks for the review on the jersey strapless dress - I would not have noticed it otherwise. It's great on you! Do you feel the halter strap is a bit long? I'd probably wear it without it anyway.

Buffy Alten April 27, 2009 at 6:38 AM  

I REALLY LOVE THE OXFORD CAPRIS. i BOUGHT THEM YESTERDAY, AND YOU ARE RIGHT THEY ARE A BIT ROOMIER THAN OTHER CAPRIS. i AM 5'8" SO THEY WERE EXACTLY THE RIGHT LENGHT FOR ME.

JTS April 27, 2009 at 8:50 PM  

@JJC - I tried these on in the smaller size, and they were still just okay for me. I do prefer the looser fit, like you, but I so wanted them to be a little crisper looking (especially the color). I also found that there aren't a ton left either! I'm glad you liked the review on the jersey dress - my PS made me try it on, and I'm so glad she did! I don't think the halter strap is too long (I'm short, too). There was no pulling or stretching on the strap when I had it on, and I also didn't feel like I had to worry about the dress falling down, which is always good!

@Kirbydog - Yay! I'm glad they worked out for you! Capris for you, and pants (that I don't have to hem) for me :)